Tag cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Monday, March 29, 2010

Quarter 4 - Week 3

Now that we have completed three quarters, and three weeks.... we've basically done 3.3 / 10 quarters. THAT means, we only have two-thirds left to go! Now all we need to do, is figure out what we did in the past, and repeat it twice more. That looks like it'll work. I think.

Nothing special happened this week, except for the quizzes (about time they started too, I was beginning to think I was important, this brought me back down to earth). One quiz in OperMan, and another in CorpFin. On the same day. Yes, our professors have synchronized internal clocks.

OperMan - This week was all about Queues and how to setup operations in consideration to this and the service industry. By and large, this was a case-study centred week, both days had us discussing a couple of cases. I hadn't prepared properly, so it came as an utter shock to me when everyone else was rattling numbers and throwing jargon, while I was sitting and hunting for the numbers here and there. (Study, study, study!). The test came and went, and took any semblance of dignity I had. But, never fear, next week's coming near, I'll have some dignity and hold onto it for dear. (Hey, I'm a poet).

CorpFin - More discussion on bonds and their valuation. I think we progressed a little beyond that, I only remember this since it was part of the test. I draw a blank after that. Will update next week, after I study.

MPPO - All the touchy-feely parts of management come together in one orchestra called MPPO. Quite a few of our classmates get easily bored in this class. The prof actually said something like "the young ones don't fully understand what goes on in an organization and the human aspect to it, whereas you experienced ones (he meant old. us old ones, really?) are a little more mellow. You know what the pulse of the organization is, so you are able to absorb the teachings from this course better". A couple of my neighbours were doodling on a pad, so I'm guessing they were thoughtfully considering what he said. Anyway, this week we were discussing ego states (Parent, Adult and Child) and inter-personal strokes and judgements. Essentially about how the way we communicate to people should match how they're perceiving it. If there's a disconnect, communication tends to give way to the friction, and pretty much stops. Strokes was all about how people are thirsting for feedback, and will go for any kind of stroke (positive or negative i.e. compliment or otherwise, in comparison to no feedback at all). The course is definitely something to ponder over, when we consider that most of us are only concentrating on results and data, when "people" by themselves are such a vast, unknown subject by themselves. Hmm.

But whatever said, 1/3 is done. It's a big step for us guys, I'm sure we can make two more! Cheers to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment