Tag cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Flashback - The Interview

The interview was spread across two days - the first being the Alumni Interview and the next was the Faculty Interview. When asked why we had two interviews, we were given to understand that since the applicants had a strong technical background, most being Senior Tech Leads or architects, it was possible that they could use technical jargon to appear like they had accomplished more than they really had, and the faculty would typically have to take them at their word for it.

Going by the adage, it takes a coder to analyse another, the alumni felt that they could help with a "first-round-analysis" and figure out if the candidate really did accomplish what he had said, and if he was genuine. However, they do not filter anyone out at this stage, they only make recommendations to the faculty and give feedback on the candidate. It was also felt that this could help the candidate to be more at ease for the final interview, sort of acting like an orientation(?) interview.

My alumni interview was pretty simple. Even though everyone had done their best to convince us that this would be a walk in the park, I guess it didn't really sink in till the interview was over. They started off by asking me "So, are you nervous?" and when I said I was, they went ahead and repeated the same thing I'd been hearing on the PGSEMInfo group and at the Open House, "Dont worry, it's nothing... Just be yourself." They asked simple questions like "What do you do?", "How will you manage your time between work and study?", "Why are you doing this course?", "What plans do you have for your future? What do you want to do? How will this course help you". And finally, they followed it up with "Any questions for us?". Yea, was a breeze. I dont remember anyone coming out saying "Oh God! Things didnt go well at all!!"

The faculty interview, I sure wont forget that one. I've always left stuff for the last minute, but this was just unforgivable. Please note, DO NOT leave anything for the last minute. DO NOT leave anything for the last minute. Double effect!

I was supposed to make copies of all my certificates for the faculty interview, and I thought I'd do it on the way to the college. My interview was at 2 PM, and yours truly left at 1 PM with his certificates in tow. Only to find out that there was a power cut from 10 AM - 5 PM on that day, in a 3 kilometre radius. Awesome huh? Luckily for me, some internet cafe very close to IIMB had a xerox machine and I got my docs copied and then thankfully remembered that they might ask me something from my SOP too. So took a printout of it, and rushed to IIMB. I reached the interview hall by 1.55 PM. Second Note: When you're screwed, do not panic.

Easy for me to give gyaan after doing the interview huh? Anyway, I just had time to give my docs and then was immediately called for the interview. The profs saw me in a not-so-calm state, and asked me to rest a minute (God bless those profs!). They then proceeded to ask me about the domain in which I worked, and tried to figure out if I knew enough about the domain. Thankfully, not many people are aware of what goes on in my domain, they only know that it's popular, but not many really understand what goes on in there. So that turned out well for me. They then proceeded to ask me about my family, and when I told them I was single, they asked if I planned to get married anytime soon, and that this course doesnt leave me time for anything else.

It wasn't a stress interview, and I must have chatted with them for around 15 minutes. I remember that I wasn't nervous, I had visited this campus almost five times till now, and I had already prepared well in my mind that I was going to be honest about everything. A senior who had met us had mentioned that it's very important to be truthful and sincere. There's nothing the profs hate more than fakers, they definitely have much more things to do with their valuable time. So since I didnt have to lie about anything, and the surroundings were familiar, I must say I was in pretty good shape at the end of it. But I still remember thinking that they hadnt asked me enough questions, and they hadnt grilled me at all.. maybe I had lost the interview even before I had gotten out of that chair.

Unfortunately, it's been almost 6-8 months since I had those interviews, so I just remember the gist of it. To see "close-to-verbatim" interviews, refer to my earlier post (http://thepgsemdiary.blogspot.com/2009/09/flashback-wait.html). Anyway, after that I just walked out, heaving a sigh of relief thinking the worst was over.


In hind sight, I remember that all the questions, both by the alumni and faculty were more aimed at seeing if I'd make it through the course. About whether I had pressures on my time already, or if I'd be travelling often or even when they asked about why I want to do this course. It all seemed to zero in on ensuring that applicants weren't being filtered out, it was more like they were saving those of us who wouldnt be able to manage it, almost like they wanted to save us the effort if they felt we werent going to make it.

They knew what was in store for us, and they only wanted those who had a fighting chance to even try it. It wasn't our past performance they were looking at, it was our future commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment